- 1 lb box elbow macaroni cooked
INGREDIENTS – WHITE SAUCE
- 1 stick butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups milk
- 1/2 cup blond roux (made in advance)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion (about 1 large onion)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus on teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 5 cups aged white cheddar cheese, grated (about 20 oz)
- 6 oz Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1 3/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese (about 7 oz) reserve 1 cup for topping
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
COOKING INSTRUCTIONS – WHITE SAUCE
Melt 1 stick of butter in small saucepan. Add 3/4 cup of flour. Blend well. Cook while stirring constantly, about 3-5 minutes, until flour and butter are well blended and start to dry slightly. Reserve for cheese sauce.
COOKING INSTRUCTIONS – CHEESE SAUCE:
In a large saucepan, bring milk to simmer over medium heat. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the roux. Continue to whisk over heat until smooth and sauce begins to thicken, about 10 minutes. Saute diced onion in oil over medium heat until soft. Add onion to roux. Next add Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk to incorporate all ingredients. Begin to add cheddar cheese, gradually, in small amounts. Whisk constantly to help dissolve. Add remaining cheddar, the Gorgonzola and 3/4 cup of Parmesan. Whisk until smooth.
PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
Mix cheese sauce with cooked macaroni. Place in a large buttered oven-proof dish. Top with breadcrumbs and remaining 1 cup of Parmesan cheese.
Bake for about 10 minutes or until hot. To brown, place under the broiler until top is evenly browned; watch carefully.