- 5 cups cooked macaroni (approx 4 cups uncooked)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 12 ounces American cheese or cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 pound elbow pasta, boiled in salted water until just tender, drained, and rinsed under cold water
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 2/3 cup whole milk.
- Cook the macaroni until done as usual. Do not overcook it. Drain macaroni in
- Heat oven to 375 degrees farenheit. Use one tablespoon butter to thickly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Combine grated cheeses and set aside two heaping cups for topping.
- In a large bowl, toss together the pasta, cheeses, cayenne (if using) and salt to taste. Place in prepared pan and evenly pour milk over surface. Sprinkle reserved cheese on top, dot with remaining butter and bake, uncovered, 45 minutes. Raise heat to 400 degrees farenheit and bake 15 to 20 minutes more, until crusty on top and bottom.
This recipe makes 4 to 6 servings.